Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Year Ends at Green School in Bali


I took a chance and enrolled Remy into The Green School in Bali even though it was still an idea, not really anything tangible. It's hard to believe a whole year has passed. Even though this year was full of bumps and bruises, rhetorically and literally, I still think it was a good idea. Sometimes taking a leap and just experiencing life without too much thought is such a good idea. Maybe she could have learned more academically. But in the grand scheme of things, isn't it fantastic to connect with friends and teachers from all over the world, learn in an outdoor setting, run wild in the jungle, and just really feel free at this time in her life. Sure it's not forever, but I think a couple of years at green school will give her experiences that will live on in her mind forever.
We did not get to use this building this year, but can't wait for next year. This will be our library and creative arts area.
It kind or reminds me of a Dr. Seuss movie. Definitely not the school we knew as children.

Pretty much, the whole school is bamboo. The buildings, the desks, the chairs, even the basketball hoop and the soccer goals. Even the school maintenance truck. That I still need a photo of...
And though we were beginning to wonder, yes they did even have lessons. Most of them not in the traditional way, but I would say some interesting styles of learning were utilized here.
Remy has been immortalized forever with her name carved in bamboo in the heart of school

No, I was not kidding when I told all of you that it was like Lord of the Flies with a bunch of children running wild in the jungle. I know it seems wild, but who wouldn't want to experience this as a child.
So, we survived a year at green school. And I'm ready to do it again. I expect there could be a few more rules next year, much to Remy's dismay, and maybe a little more attention to academics, let's hope so. It will still be a totally unique experience and something to remember for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment